Attaching a stack of items loses the rest of the stack.
- Have a stack of 2 or more items in inventory.
- Use Engineer to detach an item from the ship.
- Drop newly-detached item into inventory slot containing stack.
- Previous inventory item stack is now "active" and can be moved to another inventory slot or attached to the ship.
- Attaching a "stack" of items to the ship loses the rest of the stack.
If the "stack" is moved to another inventory slot, then the stack is preserved, but this is only possible if there is a free inventory slot.
Propose: If a stack of items is active and is attached to a vessel, then the remainder of the stack stays active and can be attached to the vessel.
PS. There is no "Construction" category in the bug tracker yet. Also, possibly allow more than one category for a bug?
There's a chance this may be caused by the same underlying problem as bug #26896. The difference between this one and that one is where the stack item is being placed - this bug talks about the stack item being attached to a vessel while #26896 talks about the stack item being dropped on the ground. What is happening with the rest of the stack left behind in inventory (getting fully deleted instead of just subtracting one from its count) seems to be the same for both bugs.