Loading Times increase substantially for KSP saves with high numbers of objects after using the Tracking Station.
OS: Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8079MB)
Issue: As a KSP save gets more and more objects using the tracking station will cause a higher and higher load times that are dependent on how many objects are currently in KSP
How to replicate:
Using KSP 1.5.1 or 1.6.1 with the 1.4.5 persistent save that has 200 objects (most are debris)
1. Resume from Main Menu
2. Enter The Tracking Station
3. Exit the Tracking Station
4. Load the rover that is at the space center
It takes 30 seconds to load on my computer with 1.6.1
It takes 29 seconds to load on my computer with 1.5.1
It takes 7 seconds to load on my computer with 1.4.5
Other ways to test this:
1. Load from the Tracking station to any object.
2. Quick save when in 'flight'. restart KSP. From KSC screen load the quick save.
Then restart KSP. Then enter the Tracking Station and Exit back to Space Center. Load the quick save. The save will be long again.
KSP 1.6.1 Tracking Station.log is attached. Note following for a long delay between time stamps:
[LOG 16:19:19.958] [Rover]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...
[LOG 16:19:19.971] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 16:19:22.420] all systems started
[LOG 16:19:43.666] [UiApp] Awake: CurrencyWidgetsApp
KSP 1.4.5 Tracking Station.log is attached. Note following for what I consider acceptable:
[LOG 16:34:30.786] [Rover]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...
[LOG 16:34:30.797] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 16:34:33.192] all systems started
[LOG 16:34:34.343] [UiApp] Awake: CurrencyWidgetsApp
Load the rover that is at the space center and then use the map to change crafts (avoid the tracking station at all costs)
To change to the rover on the KSC screen
This takes 11 seconds with 1.6.1
This takes 11 seconds with 1.5.1
This takes 6 seconds with 1.4.5
11 seconds could be an indicator of another issue but at least it isnt 30 seconds.
Note 1: This bug report is specifically about the tracking station causing long load times to 'flight' or loading a scene.
Note 2: That the default setting for KSP and debris is 250 maximum with the option of increasing to 10000. Thats 250 objects. The more objects the longer the load time becomes on what seems similar to an exponential climb
- File 200 Object Dispenser.craft added
- Subject changed from Loading Times increase for KSP saves with high numbers of objects after using the Tracking Station. to Loading Times increase substantially for KSP saves with high numbers of objects after using the Tracking Station.
This craft will make for easy addition of objects for testing
#3 Updated by Anth12 about 15 hours ago
- File 1.4.5 Log Files.zip added
- File 1.5.1 Log Files.zip added
- File 1.6.1 Log Files.zip added
- File Time Taken 0-500 Objects.xls added
- File Spreadsheet Tracking Station Testing.png View added
- File Object Testing Save Folder.zip added
Further testing has shown the following:
1. The icons menu (up the top) in the Tracking Station being on or off changes loading times (ie turning off and on ships/flags/debris etc)
2. The more objects in the Tracking Station definitely is on a type of exponential curve
3. Loading is longer on 1.5.1 and 1.6.1 even with the a save with only 1 Object
The spreadsheet attached is copied and pasted from the logfiles attached to show the big differences in load times from the tracking station
via the graphs.
Log files have the following:
KSP -0 Rovers in Space.log means the tracking station icons are off
KSP 0 Rovers in Space.log means the tracking station icons are on
Note I used the rover on the KSC screen for all loading and consider only the probes in orbit to be actual numbers for testing.
Hope this makes some sort of sense