RCS thrusters are constantly rotating the ship in some direction without any user input, making it impossible to dock
Way to reproduce:
- Open up my game save file.
- Load Komo 9 Akalan space station module, which is currently orbiting Kerbin (it's very near to Komo 9 Konolym 3, cause I planned to dock them).
- Switch to docking mode.
- Toggle translation/rotation ([space]).
- The RCS thrusters will be constantly rotating the ship in some direction (in a specific one, dunno if it changes between game launches) without any user input, making it impossible to dock.
#3 Updated by AlffromKerbal about 4 years ago
Confirmed using your savegame (also using Linux) (no option found to mark this issue as confirmed).
There are 2 smaller parts docked on, 1 on each side. The propulsion effect keeps/wanders with the 1st part you undock and due to lower mass, propulsion is massivly increased. You can stop the roation by a short timewarp, but at normal time rotation starts again at the 1st undocked part only.
#4 Updated by gfrodo about 4 years ago
You can trim your spacecraft with [Alt]+WASD or [RShift]+WASD to compensate for asymetric thrust. with no external forces applied (aerodynamic, active thrust, ...) this will slowly start to rotate your craft. this trim can be zeroed with [Alt]+X or [RShift]+X
Maybe this was the problem.
#6 Updated by gfrodo about 4 years ago
if you accidentaly changed your trimming, your craft will start rotating with all its torque generating elements in the direction it is trimmed. Therefore, if you deactivate RCS and all Reaction Wheels, it won't accelerate. The right solution would be to deactivate the trim by [RShift]+X or [Alt]+X, depending on OS.
Edit: I just looked in the save file, the craft Komo 9 Konolym 3 has a yaw axis trimming of -0.15, which means it will rotate in the same way, if you could press the 'A' key by 15%.
Komo 9 Akalan has a 0.42 pitch trim and -0.36 yaw trim, so its much worse, like pressing 'S' Key by 42% and 'A' by 36%.
(Maybe its 'D' instead of 'A' or 'W' instead of 'S', I don't know the axis definition in the savefile.)
#7 Updated by sal_vager about 4 years ago
- File Fixed komo 9 akalan save.sfs Fixed komo 9 akalan save.sfs added
- Status changed from New to Not a Bug
- Severity changed from Critical to Low
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
Hi Fifi, your vessel had trim applied, on Linux this is done with the right shift key and the wasd & qe keys.
Right shift + X will cancel all trim, doing this on your craft stops it from rotating.
Attached is a fixed save with trim canceled.
Hope this helps.