The Illuminator Mks 1 & 2 can be a little clunky to fit onto some designs, and are limited in usefulness. A revamp of these lights and the addition of a few others could add some new visual flavors to the game.
- The current lights would benefit from a little streamlining. Perhaps they could be made controllable through the PAW, with say +/- 30 degrees of x/y aiming, adjustable beam focus, and/or dimmable.
- Beacons. There are a few different forms of these but the key thing is that they can be seen from long range. The old MS FlightSim had this mechanic where the position and nav lights could be seen even when the craft they're attached to is not loaded. Is there anything preventing this in Unity? If not, it could be fun to see position and navigation lights, rotating beacons (like those on some of the KSC vehicles in the hangars), and strobes like those on the Apollo LEM approaching out of the dark.
- Formation lights. These low-voltage lights are usually seen on military aircraft, but they would be very handy for instance when eyeballing docking alignment.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.
- I'm very pleased to see the announcement of the new lights today, they look great!
- Scott Manley made a reply in your Twitter post, which I would like to second. An option to switch off light-casting to spare the video cards makes a ton of sense.
Looking forward to the update. Thanks again.