Asteroid always claims to have resources
An asteroid that does not contain any resources at load time still claims in its PAW that it is about 90% resource by mass.
Mods: reproducing this bug requires a one-line change to the stock configs in an otherwise clean installation, because the condition for this bug (a resource-free asteroid) is impossible with the shipped config. No third-party code or special downloads are required.
Steps to Replicate¶
GameData/Squad/Parts/Misc/PotatoRoid.cfg in an editor. In the
ModuleAsteroidResource node for Ore, set
PresenceChance to 10.
3. Start a sandbox game and spawn several asteroids.
4. Load or build any craft capable of grabbing an asteroid.
5. Use the Alt+F12 menu to rendezvous with one of the asteroids.
7. With the game still running, open the save file and search for
ModuleAsteroidResource. Verify that the asteroid's
abundance = 0 and
displayAbundance = 0.
8. If necessary, repeat steps 5-7 until you find an asteroid with no resources.
9. Dock with the asteroid.
10. Open the asteroid's part action window.
The asteroid should display that 0% of its mass is in resources.
The asteroid displays that between 85% and 95% of its mass is in resources.
The bug applies only to the UI telling the player that the asteroid is rich in resources. Attempts to actually mine the asteroid do not extract any Ore or reduce the asteroid's mass, as expected.
Possibly related to #25730, as both involve inconsistencies in how asteroid resources are handled.